Big Names Vying for Nevada MMJ Business Licenses
Nevada’s medical marijuana gold rush is attracting speculators with deep pockets, political connections and backgrounds in big business.
Clark County recently received 206 proposals from more than 100 groups for medical marijuana businesses targeting unincorporated areas of the county. The Las Vegas Review Journal sifted through those applications and found that a wide range of elite business people, former politicians and medical professionals are behind the applications.
Perhaps the most surprising applicant: Sig Rogich, who worked as a presidential adviser to Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Rogich currently operates a public relations firm in Nevada, which just eight years ago managed a campaign that challenged a medical marijuana ballot initiative.
Other applicants include:
- Former Las Vegas assemblyman Chad Christensen, who has teamed up with local banking veteran Daniel Brasov.
- Former Planet Hollywood Resort President Bill Feather, who is partnered with Oscar B. Goodman, the son of Las Vegas’s former mayor.
- Lobbyist and former Nevada legislator David Goldwater, who has teamed up with Greta Carter, president of the Cannabis Training Institute in Seattle.
- Camille Ruvo, the wife of Larry Ruvo, a local philanthropist and senior managing director of the largest distributor of alcoholic beverages on the Strip.
- Nick Spritos, director of the Women’s Cancer Center of Nevada, who has partnered with oncologist Geoffrey Hsieh.
Las Vegas and Reno have yet to accept applications for medical marijuana businesses. Both cities will likely attract a similarly elite field.
The first country in the world to fully legalize the sale and possession of recreational [click to continue...]
Obtain a state permit or shut down. That’s the gist of a letter Seattle’s Department [click to continue...]
Nevada lawmakers will tackle the recreational marijuana issue early next year, whether they’re ready to [click to continue...]
A Colorado company attempting to develop THC breathalyzers is getting some help from the state [click to continue...]
Cannabis growers of a different stripe can begin submitting applications to the Missouri government next [click to continue...]
Colorado edibles manufacturers can let out a sigh of relief. A proposal on Monday to [click to continue...]
Several businesses have taken a big step forward in their quest to open medical marijuana [click to continue...]
San Francisco, which was at the forefront of the medical marijuana movement a decade ago, [click to continue...]
An Oregon judge has decided that towns and counties have the right to ban or [click to continue...]
Medical Marijuana Inc. has filed a lawsuit in California against several businesses – including a [click to continue...]
Want to track sales of individual marijuana stores, cultivators and processors in Washington State? Easy [click to continue...]
The author of the 2013 Cole Memo has a clear message for California: “If you [click to continue...]
A national cannabis consulting firm has brought on a key architect of Israel’s medical marijuana [click to continue...]
Yet another sign that the marijuana industry is maturing: 14 cannabis labs from across the [click to continue...]