Big Names Vying for Nevada MMJ Business Licenses
Nevada’s medical marijuana gold rush is attracting speculators with deep pockets, political connections and backgrounds in big business.
Clark County recently received 206 proposals from more than 100 groups for medical marijuana businesses targeting unincorporated areas of the county. The Las Vegas Review Journal sifted through those applications and found that a wide range of elite business people, former politicians and medical professionals are behind the applications.
Perhaps the most surprising applicant: Sig Rogich, who worked as a presidential adviser to Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Rogich currently operates a public relations firm in Nevada, which just eight years ago managed a campaign that challenged a medical marijuana ballot initiative.
Other applicants include:
– Former Las Vegas assemblyman Chad Christensen, who has teamed up with local banking veteran Daniel Brasov.
– Former Planet Hollywood Resort President Bill Feather, who is partnered with Oscar B. Goodman, the son of Las Vegas’s former mayor.
– Lobbyist and former Nevada legislator David Goldwater, who has teamed up with Greta Carter, president of the Cannabis Training Institute in Seattle.
– Camille Ruvo, the wife of Larry Ruvo, a local philanthropist and senior managing director of the largest distributor of alcoholic beverages on the Strip.
– Nick Spritos, director of the Women’s Cancer Center of Nevada, who has partnered with oncologist Geoffrey Hsieh.
Las Vegas and Reno have yet to accept applications for medical marijuana businesses. Both cities will likely attract a similarly elite field.
As marijuana use broadens across the age and culture spectrum, the products that will get [click to continue...]
A Kansas-based company will build an online portal allowing cannabis business owners to apply for [click to continue...]
Edibles and oils won’t be banned in Alaska when the state’s rec market opens. On [click to continue...]
The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) says Tom Burns, the former head of marijuana programs [click to continue...]
Tommy Chong is expanding his marijuana empire. According to a press release, Bud Genius will [click to continue...]
Want to meet someone with whom you can share your life, and your marijuana? There’s [click to continue...]
A New York Assemblyman who was among the sponsors of the MMJ legalization law says [click to continue...]
A study released last week backs up what many in the marijuana industry view as [click to continue...]
Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman filed a formal response with the U.S. Supreme Court on [click to continue...]
Dispensary owners could find their own piece of paradise earlier than previously expected after a [click to continue...]
Tom Burns, director of marijuana programs in Oregon, was removed from his post Thursday. According [click to continue...]
Under a new bill in the Colorado Legislature, the state would create established testing standards [click to continue...]
By next year, legendary 81-year-old performer and noted cannabis fan Willie Nelson plans to have [click to continue...]
Australian medical cannabis company PhytoTech Medical Limited has entered into a merger agreement with Canadian [click to continue...]